Entomological Foundation Medal of Honor
The Entomological Foundation Medal of Honor was established in 2007 and it it the highest award presented by the Foundation. It is given only to those who have made outstanding contributions toward fulfillment of the Foundation’s mission or entomological outreach. The award, which is a gold medal, is presented during the Entomological Society of America’s Annual Meeting.
Nominees for the Medal of Honor are required to demonstrate interest and a history of contributions to the Entomological Foundation's mission, either as part of the Foundation activities or external. Examples include: leading educator workshops, service to the Foundation and similar organizations, development of support materials for teacher education, development of educational curriculum or educational media, etc.
View a list of previous winners.
Submit a Nominee -
Nominations may either be made by the nominee or on behalf of someone one chooses to honor. All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Entomological Foundation Award Submission Website according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits - The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation, newspaper articles, resumes, relevant publication lists, and any other supporting information provided.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only PDF or RTF applications will be accepted. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
Nomination Requirements -
Nomination packages for this award must include:
- A CV or resume that includes standard background information.
- Evidence of meaningful entomology outreach efforts during the nominee’s lifetime.
- An essay (500 words maximum) on why the nominee’s outreach efforts and outcomes are deserving of recognition with this award.
- At least two letters of reference from a professional colleague, supervisor, individual, or institution that address the nominee’s skills, history, and abilities with respect to entomology outreach.
- Up to five other pages of supporting material.
Evaluation Criteria -
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1. Participation in Outreach Events and Education (40 points total)·
- Active participation in local, regional, national, or international entomology outreach events that directly support children in grades K-12 or their educators (35)
- Participation with the Entomological Foundation (5)
2. Leadership (50 points total)
- Active leadership of entomology outreach and activities that further the EF’s mission (20)
- Made community a better place (15)
- Evidence of nominee’s impact on entomology literacy of scientists and non-scientists (15)
3. Mentorship (10 points total)
- Personal and active role in helping to build the next generation of entomologists (10)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. Nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Upon request, any candidate nominated, but not selected will be reconsidered for the following two years. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of re-nomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The re-nomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Please contact Chris Stelzig (email@example.com) if you have any questions regarding the award structure, eligibility for the award, or other Entomological Foundation awards.