Early Career Innovation Award
Sponsored by BASF
This award honors young professionals working within the field of entomology who have demonstrated innovation through contributions within any area of specialization (research, teaching, extension, product development, public service, etc.). The recipient will receive a monetary award of $1,000 at the ESA Annual Meeting.
Please select below to find out more on the award:
The nominee must be a current ESA member, and must be between two and ten years past the last degree (B.S., M.S. or Ph.D.) obtained working within the field of entomology (including postdoctoral positions). The nominee may belong to any area of entomology, but must be a practicing entomologist. Professionals working within public- or private-sector organizations are eligible.
Submit a Nominee -
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Early Career Innovation Award Sumbission site according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits - The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to email@example.com for assistance.
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 4 - Extension/ Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- A nomination letter describing the work on which the nomination is based.
- Up to three letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments and which describe the nature of the innovation and its relevance*.
- A brief summary, no longer than four pages double spaced, of the professional’s work to include the area of focus, the innovative approach, the results or outcome, and the significance.
*New This Year - Anonymous support letters are now available. Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the Award ID # , Nominee name, and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
- Contributions to the Field of Entomology (90 points total)
- Quality of contributions (e.g., research, teaching, extension, product development, public service, etc…) (20)
- Originality and innovation used to achieve the contributions (25)
- Scope and breadth of relevance of the contributions to science and society (25)
- Evaluation by colleagues, peers, constituents (20)
- Supporting Information (10 points total)
- Participation and leadership in honor and professional societies (10)”
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
For questions about this award, please click here.