Recognition Award in Entomology
Sponsored by Syngenta Crop Protection
This award recognizes entomologists who are making significant contributions to agriculture. The recipient will receive $1,500 and an inscribed clock that is presented at the ESA Annual Meeting.
Please select below to find out more about the award:
The nominee must be a current ESA member and have contributed significantly to agricultural advancement through work in the field of entomology. This work which is to be recognized by the award must have been done during the preceding five-year period. A nominee of a widely recognized scientific award is not eligible unless the accomplishment cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Also, previous recipients of this award are not eligible.
Submit a Nominee -
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the ESA Recognition Award in Entomology Nomination Site according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- Page Limits - The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to email@example.com for assistance.
Note to nominators – If there are individuals that would like to provide an anonymous letter, this information will provided to you via email once the application has been initiated.
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
2. Other Items -
- A nomination letter describing the work on which the nomination is based
- Three letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments, placing special emphasis on the work to be recognized by the award*
- Copy of the specific work (NOTE: This award focuses on work done in the preceding five-year period. If list of work causes nomination package to exceed 20 pages, please trim the list accordingly)
*New This Year - Anonymous support letters are now available. Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the Award ID # , Nominee name, and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
- Research Contributions (80 points total)
- Quality of research (25)
- Originality of research (10)
- Quality of publications (10)
- Evaluation by colleagues, peers, constituents (15)
- Impact of research finding(s) on the understanding of the subject (20)
- Supporting Information (20 points total)
- Participation and leadership in honor and professional societies (10)
- Awards, honors, and special recognitions received (10)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
For questions about this award, please click here.