ECP Research Award
This award recognizes a student transition or early professional who has made outstanding research contributions to the field of entomology.
The recipient will receive complimentary registration to the ESA Annual Meeting, $1,000 cash, and an award plaque, and a runner-up will receive acknowledgement for Honorable Mention.
Please select below to find out more about the award. View the list of frequently asked questions for all ECP Awards.
The nominee must be a current ESA Student Transition or Early Professional (STEP) member, who is no more than five years from earning their terminal degree (B.S., M.S. or Ph.D.) working within the field of entomology. The nominee may belong to any area of entomology, but must be practicing entomology.
Submit a Nominee -
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the ESA ECP Research Award Nomination Site according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists. This includes anonymous letters of support sent to ESA separately, please factor in these letters into the package length. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed letters will not be accepted.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to email@example.com for assistance.
Nomination Requirements -
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
Evaluation Criteria -
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
Contributions to the Field of Entomology(90 points total)
- Quality of contributions (25) (e.g. Importance to the field of entomology, broader impacts, publication record)
- Originality and creativity used to achieve the contributions (25)
- Scope and breadth of relevance of the contributions to science and society (25)
- Letters of support (15)
Supporting Information(10 points total)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
For questions about this award, please click here.