NCB Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching
This award is presented to honor an NCB-ESA member for excellence through innovations in teaching. The recipient will receive plaque acknowledging their achievements. The winner will also be our branch nominee for the Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching offered by the Entomological Society of America. This ESA award at the national level only accepts nominations from the Branches.
View this list of those who have previously received this award.
A nominee must be a current NCB-ESA member who has made outstanding contributions to the designated field. Packages will be judged according to the evaluation criteria described below.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 11 point.
- The maximum upload size is 2 MB per file.
- Nominators are encouraged, though not required, to submit the package as one continuous document rather than as individual files.
Nomination packages will be submitted through North Central Branch Awards Website.
Nomination packages for this award must include :
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- Letter of nomination containing a brief explanation of how the nominee excelled in performance of teaching-related duties
- Up to three letters of endorsement from professional colleagues, former students, or current students (not more than two from each)
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Classroom Instructions(30 points total)
- Amount/number of courses and/or students (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of methods (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of materials (10)
- Other Aspects of Teaching(40 points total)
- Development of new courses or curricula (4)
- Grants received for teaching (2)
- Publications related to teaching (2)
- Talks related to teaching (2)
- Participation in committees related to teaching (2)
- Advising students and student organizations (20)
- Evaluation by students and peers (8)
- Outreach and Other Activities(30 points total)
- Presentations or activities for K-12 and/or general public (10)
- Workshops or short courses for professional audience (10)
- Other professional activities, such as research, extension, consulting, or service (10)
Nomination packages must be submitted by December 1, 2017. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.
Renominations are encouraged. Any candidate nominated, but not selected, for the award at the branch level, may be renominated for the branch award up to two times within the two-year period (following the eligibility criteria) after his/her initial submission. The winner of each branch award will compete with winners from other branches for the society-level ESA award. If the NCB branch winner does not win the society-level award, he or she is again eligible for nomination for the branch award after three years. Thus, a candidate may win the branch award more than once. Previous winners of society-level awards are not eligible for renomination at the branch level.
A renomination package must be made as a new submission, but may contain old or updated material at the nominator's discretion.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination. Award recipients will be asked to supply a short bio and picture for the program booklet.
For more information about this award, please contact the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee.