Paula Davis, NCB-ESA President
Dear NCB Member,
Mark your calendars for attending the NCB-ESA meeting in Manhattan, KS from May 31 to June 3, 2015. Program chair Amit Sethi, local arrangements chair David Margolies and their respective committees are planning a scientifically packed, fun-filled meeting. Below are updates on various meeting deadlines.
NCB Symposia for 2015 Meeting: Symposia proposals should be sent to Program Chair Amit Sethi
. The deadline for these proposals is January 5, 2015
Please include the following information:
- Moderator/organizer contact information (e-mail, telephone/fax number, mailing address):
- Goal of proposed symposium (description of the topic, it’s relevance to the general meeting, the target audience, etc.):
- Time required ( full day, half day, shorter):
- Suggested day (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning. Note that all student competition presentations will be scheduled on Monday).
- Number of speakers:
- Potential speakers (please indicate if any have confirmed):
- Will enhancement funds be needed and if so, how much is requested:
Organizers for accepted proposals will be contacted in January and have until February 9, 2015 to submit their final program. Accepted symposia may request Program Enhancement Funds (PEF) for speakers who are not within the North Central Branch or whose discipline is not entomology. Limited PEF are
available so please submit your symposia proposals and subsequent requests as soon as possible.
Insect Photo Salon
: Entries will be accepted January 1 – February 16, 2015
. Photo salon rules and entry forms can be found on the 2015 NCB Meeting page
Linnaean Games: Universities wishing to submit a team should contact Dan Young and provide the names of four team members, up to two alternates, and the coach name(s) by Monday, 30 March 2015.
Oral / Poster Presentations, Triplehorn Challenge displays and Student Competition Submissions:
Mark your calendar for submitting entries via the Confex-hosted website from February 16 - March 16, 2015.
NCB Awards and Call for Award Nominations:
The North Central Branch is proud to sponsor numerous branch and national awards as well as student travel grants.
- Many of the awards are shifting to on-line submissions and awards web pages are being updated. An e-mail will be sent out after the first of the year with more details on specific awards and submission process.
- For 2015, awards applications will be accepted from February 16 to March 16, 2015. Please consider nominating a deserving student or colleague for one of these awards.
- The executive committee also approved to increase the number of $250 travel grants from 20 to 25 student grants. Up to 5 of these grants will be reserved for undergraduates.
- Congratulations to Dr. Stuart Mitchell who was elected earlier this year as NCB representative to the ESA Certification board.
- The NCB Nominations committee is soliciting candidates for President-elect and at-large representative to the NCB Executive Committee. If you have interest in either of these positions, contact Susan Moser, Grayson Brown or Julie Peterson.