Postdoctoral Fellow - Entomology (Ecological Modeling)
The incumbent will develop new statistical or mechanistic models to predict the risk of rice pest outbreaks in the Philippines. As a part of this effort, the incumbent will gather necessary data to parameterize and validate the risk models of rice pests using climate chamber, greenhouse and field experiments as well as by compiling historical data from past experiments and national records. The position contributes to the outputs of PRIME, an externally-funded project.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Banos, Laguna.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct climate chamber, greenhouse and field experiments to identify and elucidate the impacts on climate-related (e.g. drought, stagnant flooding) and agronomic (i.e. pesticide overuse in addition to widespread use of susceptible varieties) variables on pest regulation in rice ecosystems in the Philippines to support the research objectives of the PRIME project
- Develop statistical or mechanistic models to predict the risk of green leaf hopper and brown plant hopper outbreaks on Philippine rice ecosystems based on experimental data as well as secondary data from national agencies
- Align and liaise with external project partners (e.g. PhilRice, Philippine Department of Agriculture, PRIME) to ensure that protocols, data and material exchange, data collection for parameterization and validation of predictive models and other aspects of the research projects are transitioned smoothly across organizations
- Work closely with internal stakeholders (e.g. entomologists, plant pathologists) in conducting climate chamber, greenhouse and field experiments as well as in providing expert advice on developing innovative protocols and methodologies
- Provide information and input to on-going field and project management activities involving assistants, technicians and scholars in order to maintain a good working environment as well as harmony within the team
- Systematically compile, analyze, interpret data and write reports for donors as well as for oral/poster presentations in international conferences/workshops
- Write manuscripts for publication in quality, international journals and support colleagues in the overall dissemination of research results
- Prepare training and extension materials and serve as a resource person during on-site and off-site trainings
- Oversee the integrity, quality and archiving of the IRRI entomology experimental and observational database.
- PhD in entomology, ecology, epidemiology or other relevant disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in experimental ecology of insect populations and potential on developing statistical or mechanistic models in population dynamics as exemplified by publication history
- Skills and knowledge in insect ecology and deterministic or stochastic modeling
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Has excellent organizational skills
- Experience working with rice, experience working in developing country setting, experience in training stakeholders or classroom teaching
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Banos, Laguna. Interested candidates should apply through jobs.irri.org