Medical, Urban & Veterinary Entomology (MUVE) Shripat Kamble Urban Entomology Graduate Student Award for Innovative Research
The Medical, Urban, and Veterinary Entomology Section (MUVE), recognizes the contributions of Dr. Shripat Kamble in Urban Entomology and his services to Entomology, the Entomological Society of America (ESA), and to the BCE program. Dr. Kamble established this prestigious award to promote innovative research in urban entomology. Dr. Kamble's fund plus additional donations from Dow AgroSciences, DuPont Professional Products, Rhodes Chemical Company, and Syngenta support this award. The award is provided to a doctoral student who is currently conducting research which demonstrates innovative and realistic approaches to Urban Entomology. The Award consists of a $500 research grant and a plaque. The recipient is presented with the award at the ESA Annual Meeting during the MUVE networking business meeting.
The applicant must be a student for a doctoral degree at an accredited university in the U.S. The award is only available to students who are ESA members with a demonstrated interest in urban entomology (excludes turf and ornamental pests). The recipient is encouraged to present the research results at an ESA Annual Meeting.
Please click here to see a list of those who have previously received this award.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- A nomination package may contain no more than 4 separate files, and the size of each file must not exceed 3 MB.
Nomination packages must be submitted through the MUVE Awards Nomination Website.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Nominations packages for this award must include:
Nominators must provide the information called for in the CV template, either in the template's format or in their own format. To view the CV-related nomination requirements for this award, as well as the CV template, please click here.
- Letter of nomination from either a major advisor or a peer.
- Research proposal and its significance (must not exceed five pages) approved and signed by his/her major advisor. The proposal must include the title, duration, and background information concerning the significance of the research to the field of Urban Entomology including materials and budget.
- Two additional letters of recommendation.
- Ph.D. transcript.
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 80 points:
- Candidate(50 points total)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (10 points)
- Recommendations of professors, advisors, etc. (10 points)
- Leadership/Grants (10 points)
- Publications (10 points)
- BCE-Intern (10 points)
- Research Proposal (50 points total)
- Feasibility (10 points)
- Scientific contribution to the knowledge of the biology or control of pests in the urban environment (10 points)
- Creativity and innovation (10 points)
- Contribution (10 points)
- Scientific impact (10 points)
Nomination packages must be received by the awards administrator by June 1. Only electronic submission will be accepted and the entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total including letters of nomination or recommendations and publications lists. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. The awards administrator will confirm receipt of nomination packages within two business days, and also notify nominators of any problems with nomination package files within that time.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be re-nominated for the following year only. A new or an updated re-nomination package must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.