Percival Scientific Undergraduate Entomology Student Activity Award
Percival Scientific is an industry leader in providing quality research equipment, specifically environmental growth chambers. In similar fashion, Percival Scientific, Inc., sponsors this $250 cash award to encourage and cultivate the entomological interests of undergraduate students. This cash award, and a certificate, will be presented annually for 5 years beginning in 2010 to recognize an undergraduate student from the Southwestern Branch of the Entomological Society of America for outstanding contributions to the Society, his/her academic department, and the community, while still achieving academic excellence.
- Undergraduate student enrolled in entomology or the related biological sciences
- Must be an ESA member for the year in which award is to be considered
- Shows evidence of an excellent academic record.
Any student enrolled in entomology or the related biological sciences may submit a nomination package provided a sponsoring faculty member is identified. Nomination packages for this award must include the following:
- A one-page letter written by the applicant outlining his/her activities and accomplishments relevant to the criteria of the award.
- A résumé, including academic credentials (e.g. GPA and/or GRE, if available)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or other knowledgeable individuals.
- Expected attendance at scientific and governance sessions (opening and closing meetings)
- Completed report of activities and learning experience(s) at the Branch meeting, 1-2 pages in length
- A digital photo of the applicant that is at least 1" wide x 1-1/2" tall, black and white or color, with a minimum of 300 pixels per inch.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Academics (50 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (30)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (15)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department (5)
- Contributions to ESA (40 points total)
- Volunteer service to the Society (20)
- Participation in branch or national meetings (20)
- Service to the Community (10 points total)
Electronic Submission Requirements:
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Chair of the Southwestern Branch Awards and Honors Committee according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 7 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
File Specifications:Only the following file formats will be accepted:
- PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- A nomination package may contain no more than 6 separate files, and the size of each file must not exceed 3 MB.
Nomination packages are to be submitted to the Chair of the Awards and Honors Committee of the Southwestern Branch (Jane Pierce). In the submission e-mail, please include the title of the award in the subject of the e-mail. In the body of the e-mail, provide the name of the nominee, the nominator's contact information, and a list of the attached files.
Nomination packages must be received by the Branch Awards and Honors Committee Chair by February 21 (Jane Pierce). This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. The Chair will confirm receipt of nomination packages within two business days, and also notify nominators of any problems with nomination package files within that time. The Committee and a representative from Percival Scientific will review the packages.