For questions about this award, email email@example.com
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1.
This award consists of $500 and an inscribed plaque presented at the ESA Annual Meeting.
The nominee must be a current ESA member, teach at the community college or university level, and must have excelled through innovations in developing new courses, programs, and teaching methods. Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching. Each Branch is limited to one nomination per year.
NOTE: Members can only submit in one Branch each year.
Nominations come from ESA Branches. Each branch is able to nominate one individual per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- Up to two letters of nomination/recommendation from professional colleagues, former students, or current students (not more than one from each).
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the DISTINGUISHED ACHIEVEMENT AWARD IN TEACHING NOMINATION WEBSITE
Judging Criteria and Notification
Evaluation Criteria -
Nominees/candidates will be judged by the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching Jusging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Classroom Instructions (30 points total)
- Amount/number of courses and/or students (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of methods (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of materials (10)
- Other Aspects of Teaching and Mentoring(40 points total)
- Development of new courses or curricula (4)
- Grants received for teaching/mentoring(2)
- Publications related to teaching/mentoring (2)
- Talks related to teaching/mentoring (2)
- Participation in committees related to teaching/mentoring (2)
- Advising students and student organizations (20)
- Evaluation by students and peers (8)
- Outreach and Other Activities (30 points total)
- Presentations or activities for K-12 and/or general public (10)
- Workshops or short courses for professional audience (10)
- Other professional activities, such as research, extension, consulting, or service (10)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.