March 28, 2022
The Governing Board held a virtual meeting on March 17. During the meeting, the Board took the following actions:
- Adopted changes to the ESA award requirements as recommended by the Awards and Honors Committee, with revisions by the Governing Board; and
- Amended the 2022 budget to allocate an additional $800 to cover cash prizes for the 2022 Rising Stars Symposium winners.
The board also discussed:
- The forthcoming strategic planning process and the Board’s goals for the undertaking;
- An equity initiative proposal and the possibility of creating a task force later in the year to further review the topic;
- A proposal from the Awards and Honors Committee to streamline the awards nomination process and make the awards more inviting;
- The 2021 finances and the impact recent global events have had on the financial markets;
- Revenue diversification and the goal of building a culture of entrepreneurship among members;
- The 2022 Annual Meeting and expectations for the upcoming Branch Meetings;
- Board development and culture, including the results of a recent survey;
- Headquarters operations, including advocacy initiatives, the Branch Evolution Project, progress of the CDC cooperative agreement, and a member salary benchmarking tool;
- A request from the Student Affairs Committee to amend the 2020 budget to offer prize money for the winners of the Rising Stars of Entomology competition;
- Performing a gap analysis of the ESA awards program to determine if any areas have been overlooked, particularly awards that focus on research.
Additional consent agenda items included the 2021 Annual Report and a report from the Entomology Games Committee, which discussed strategies for increasing participation.
The ESA Governing Board also convened as the ESA Certification Corporation Governing Board. Staff noted that they have resumed promotion of certification programs at various in-person meetings, and the October 2021 minutes were approved.
Members with questions about the outcomes from the March 2022 Governing Board meeting can contact ESA Executive Director Chris Stelzig at email@example.com.
Minutes from past Governing Board meetings are available online following Governing Board approval.
For more info, visit the ESA Governing Board page.