For questions about this award, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1.
The recipient or team will receive one complimentary registration to the ESA Annual Meeting, one $500 cash prize, and an award plaque.
The nominee (or at least one team member) must be a current ESA member, able to demonstrate through their statement how their efforts towards diversity and inclusion have engaged participation of all individuals who are interested in entomology regardless of age, gender, gender identity, race, cultural background, religion, physical ability, sexual orientation, professional status, geographic location, and all other characteristics that make our members unique. The nominee(s) may belong to any area of entomology, but must be a practicing entomologist.
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self‐nominations allowed per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. CV‐Related Items ‐ Nominators must provide a CV including the sections below. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 ‐ Background Information
- Section 5 ‐ Service
2.Other Items ‐
- Up to two letters of nomination/recommendation from professional colleagues or other knowledgeable individuals, which describe the nature of the innovation and its relevance.
- A brief summary, no longer than two pages double-spaced, of the professional’s work to include the area of focus, the innovative approach, the results or outcome, and the significance.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total including all required materials listed above.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Distinguished Achievement Award in the Promotion of Diversity and Inclusion in the Field of Entomology NOMINATION Website
Evaluation Criteria and Notification
Evaluation Criteria -
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Contributions to Diversity & Inclusion (80 points total)
- Quality of contributions (50) (e.g. examples of engagement to show diversity and inclusion, supporting and advocating for the success of underrepresented minorities, creating/encouraging climate change that enables such success, broader impacts)
- Originality and creativity used to achieve the contributions (15)
- Letters of support (15)
2. Excellence in the field of Entomology (20 points total)
- Participation and leadership in professional societies (20)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.