Start an Alate award nomination
For questions about this award, email email@example.com
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
A fully paid trip to the ESA Annual Meeting. Expenses paid include airfare, free hotel arrangements (up to five-nights), free meeting registration, ground transportation reimbursement and a per diem allowance. In addition to travel and registration, members of the Diversity & Inclusion committee will serve as mentors to the grant recipients during the meeting and assisting in making connections throughout the society and different areas of interests.
The applicant must be a current ESA student member who is earning a degree (B.S., M.S., or Ph.D.) and studying specifically at least one insect in the field of entomology, or performing entomology-related research in a field such as biology agricultural science, forestry, evolution, ecology, or environmental sciences. Each applicant must be currently enrolled in an MSI listed in Appendix A and planning to present during the Annual Meeting (10-minute paper, poster, or infographic) if awarded. View the entire list of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and other Minority-Serving Institutions (MSI)
Nominations may be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. Cover letter/personal statement to include the following information:
- Area of Study
- Your professional goals and how attending the ESA Annual Meeting will benefit you as a scientist
- Scope and importance of the research you are presenting at the meeting.
2. One Letter of Recommendation in support of your application from a mentor or supervisor to include the following (if applicable):
- Affirmation the candidate is eligible for the award
- How this award will benefit the applicant
- Why this applicant should receive this award
- Contributions and/or service to academia
- Additional information you would like to communicate to the selection committee.
3. A plan to present at the ESA Annual Meeting. Individuals must submit either a 10-minute talk, poster, or infographic. Submissions will open mid-March and require title, subtopic, authors, and abstract at the time of submission.
4. Unofficial Transcript
5. CV or Biographical Resume – Nominators should provide a CV or biographical resume that may include the sections below (activities within last 3 years). For a full listing of what should be included in each section (https://www.entsoc.org/awards/cv_template)
- Section I: Background Information
- Section II: Research
- Section IV: Outreach
- Section V: Service
Alternatively, a two-page biographical resume, citing education, employment, service/outreach, and the most relevant publications, presentations, awards, current grant(s), scholarships, and outside funding received during the preceding 36 months. A biographical resume template can be found here: https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/nsfapprovedformats/biosketch.pdf
Judging Criteria and Notification
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Academics (45 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (CV and unofficial transcript) (15)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (20)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department/university/society (10)
- Individual Aspirations (55 points total)
- How impactful will participating in the meeting be for this individual (25)
- Strength of the presentation proposal (30)
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the ALATE AWARD NOMINATION WEBSITE
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.