If recent politics have proved nothing else, they've showcased the power of social media to influence policy. Use that to your advantage and tweet your support for (or against) various policies that intersect entomology. Here are some ideas to get you started. Add a picture from your research to personalize it. To find the social media handles for your representatives go to their website or use Twitter's list for the House and Senate. We've organized the tweets by topic for Entomology Advocacy Week. Tweet, Facebook or Instagram the messages below tagging your representatives in Federal and State governments.
Another resource for contacting your representatives is ESA’s How to Contact your Elected Officials.
Tweets by topic are suggested below - depending on your legislator's Twitter handles, you may need to edit to fit. You can share your message any day of the week or throughout the year! Be sure to add #Entvocate22 to your tweets and posts.
- Biodiversity is threatened by habitat loss and #InvasiveSpecies. It is vital that [Congress or name state legislature] work to protect America’s #biodiversity by investing in the continued study of sustainable land use and improved management practices. #Entvocate2022 [insert names of Federal or State Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] https://bit.ly/3SPjwyI
- #Insects comprise 80% of the world’s living animals. Habitat loss, #ClimateChange, and #InvasiveSpecies endanger many vital species. [Congress or name state legislature] should act to support habitat protection and international collaboration to protect #Biodiversity. #Entvocate2022 @EntsocAmerica [insert names of Senators and Member of Congress’s Twitter handle]
- Implementing a focus on insect #biodiversity is vital in restoring the rangelands of iconic American species. Congress should invest in #biodiversity research not only to protect invertebrates but for the survival of other species and ecosystems. #Entvocate22 @EntsocAmerica [insert names of Senators and Member of Congress’s Twitter handle]
- More insect biodiversity in farming systems can translate into less reliance on chemical pesticides for pest control - and safer, healthier environments for farm workers and local residents #EntVocate22 #environmentaljustice
- Habitat loss and ensuing insect biodiversity decline often mean reduced control of agricultural pests – agricultural production and conservation science are two sides of the same coin. How can we balance landscape use with food security and biodiversity preservation? #EntVocate22
- More insects live in the water than you think: Inland waters cover less than one percent of Earth’s surface but harbor more than six percent of all insect species on the planet #EntVocate22
- Mayflies are one of the most common insects in inland waters and key food sources for many birds and fish, but their populations are in steep decline #EntVocate22
- It’s not just about monarchs - an Ohio study found a widespread (33%) decline across butterfly species within just the last 20 years. #EntVocate22
- Almost every bird species relies upon insects as a food source. Insect abundance going down is bad news for bird populations. #EntVocate22
- Increased biodiversity can boost yields of economically important species - and not just crops! For instance, freshwater aquatic macroinvertebrate diversity is linked to the success of salmon fisheries. #EntVocate22
#mosquito #dengue #malaria #WestNileVirus - World Mosquito Day is August 20
- It's World Mosquito Day. #Malaria, #dengue, and #WestNileVirus impact millions of people worldwide and in the US. We need good mosquito management practices in [#name state]. Will you [insert state or local elected officials’ Twitter handles] make this a priority? #Entvocate22
- Vector-borne diseases are some of the most preventable but @CDCgov says the # of cases spread by ticks & mosquitoes tripled from 2004-2016. Will [insert names of State and Federal Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] support management techniques? Evidence-based policy matters. #Entvocate22
- Today is World Mosquito Day. Time to focus on effective mosquito management and cures to the diseases they vector! Orgs are working together in the VBD Network. Will [insert names of State and Federal Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] be a part of the solution? #Entvocate22 www.entsoc.org/sci-pol/VBD-Network
- West Nile Virus is on the rise in the US. In 2020, AZ saw the largest identified single outbreak in U.S. history of WNV, a potentially fatal mosquito-borne illness. Pass the PREVENT Pandemics Act! #Entvocate22 [insert names of Senators Twitter handle]
#ticks #Lyme #LymeDisease
- #LymeDisease is just one of 16 human diseases spread by #ticks in the U.S. An estimated 300,000 cases each year cost roughly $1B annually. Pass the PREVENT Pandemics Act! #Entvocate22 [insert names of Senators Twitter handle] https://bit.ly/33xMXMe
- We have more #ticks in more places in the U.S. than ever before. We urgently need a national strategy using Integrated Tick Management to protect public health. Pass the PREVENT Pandemics Act! #Entvocate22 [insert names of Senators Twitter handle] https://bit.ly/33xMXMe
- Early Detection and Rapid Response is key to preventing the establishment of #InvasiveSpecies. Thank you @RepThompson and @RepStefanik for leading Congress in this critical issue. I encourage [insert House Member of Congress’s Twitter handle] to join the House Invasive Species Caucus. #Entvocate22
- #InvasiveSpecies cost the U.S. billions of $$ every year, yet most Members of Congress don’t hear from their constituents about this until it’s too late to do anything. I encourage [insert Member of Congress’s Twitter handle] to join the House Invasive Species Caucus. #Entvocate22
- #InvasiveSpecies cost the U.S. billions of $$ every year, yet most Members of Congress don’t hear from their constituents about this until it’s too late to do anything. The Senate should start a counterpart to the House Invasive Species Caucus. [insert names of Senators Twitter handle] #Entvocate22
- Everyone loves coffee! Help protect the U.S. coffee economy & promote integrated pest management by supporting the bipartisan HR5421/S2884! [insert names of State and Federal Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] #Entvocate22
#pollinators, #pollination, #bees, #butterflies - World Honey Bee Day is August 20
- It’s national #honeybee day. Honey bees alone pollinate more than 90 crops in the U.S. #Congress should prioritize pollinator health research to combat food insecurity and promote sustainable agriculture. #Entvocate22 [insert your U.S. Senators’ and Representative’s Twitter handles]
- #Pollinators provide over $200 billion in economic value to global agriculture! #Congress should invest in pollinator health management tools to reduce stressors to pollinator populations and increase global food production. #Entvocate22 [insert your U.S. Senators’ and Representative’s Twitter handles]
- Colony Collapse Disorder is an existential threat to #honeybee populations. #Congress needs to engage researchers and stakeholders to find solutions to CCD! #Entvocate22
- It is vital that [#Congress or name state legislature] work to protect America’s #pollinators by engaging with researchers and stakeholders to solve the challenges facing #bees and other pollinators. #Entvocate22 [insert names of Federal or State Senators and Representatives Twitter handle].