Sponsored by Bayer Crop Science, this award will be presented annually to recognize a student for outstanding contributions to the Society, his/her academic department, and the community, while still achieving academic excellence. The award consists of a $5,000 cash prize and an inscribed plaque. The awardee is presented with the plaque during the ESA Annual Meeting.
For questions about this award, email email@example.com
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
The nominee must be an ESA student member, who:
- Is pursuing course work leading to a graduate degree with a focus in entomology (Individuals may receive the award providing that they have not graduated more than 12 months prior to the time the award is to be presented.);
- Is an ESA member (student or regular) prior to January 1 of the year in which the award is to be presented; and
- Shows evidence of an excellent academic record.
A regular member returning for graduate study is eligible if membership status changes from regular to student membership within at least two years after resuming graduate studies.
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Letter of nomination stating the reason for nomination. This letter should come from the individual nominating (for self nominations that letter should come from the nominee).
- A one-page letter written by the applicant outlining his/her activities and accomplishments relevant to the criteria of the award
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or other knowledgeable individuals
- Official or unofficial transcripts of all graduate education. Unofficial transcripts must be accompanied with a support letter from the department or advisor confirming the authenticity. Official transcripts can me mailed to: ESA 3 Park Place Suite 307 Annapolis, MD 21401 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the STUDENT ACTIVITY AWARD NOMINATION WEBSITE
Judging Criteria and Notification
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Academics (50 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (30)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (15)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department (5)
- Contributions to ESA (35 points total)
- Volunteer service to the Society (12)
- Participation in branch or national meetings (13)
- Publish in ESA journals (10)
- Service to the Community (15 points total)
Notification: The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.