Start a Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology Nomination
For questions about this award, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
This award includes a cash prize, based on earnings from the investment, and a plaque, which is presented at the ESA Annual Meeting. The winner also will present at the Physiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Section meeting at the ESA Annual Meeting.
All students using arthropods to study any aspect of basic or applied physiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology in the broadest sense for their Master's or doctoral research are eligible to apply. Students from all science departments are encouraged to apply. The applicant does not have to present a paper in order to receive the award. A student may re-apply but preference will be given to a student who has not received the award previously. The winner must be an ESA student member at the time he/she applies for this award.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Two letters of endorsement from professional colleagues and clientele
- Two-page statement written by student covering the topic or areas of research for project, methodology, reasons and enthusiasm for attending the meeting.
- Official or unofficial transcripts of all graduate education.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the
LILLIAN AND ALEX FEIR GRADUATE STUDENT TRAVEL AWARD IN INSECT PHYSIOLOGY, BIOCHEMISTRY, OR MOLECULAR BIOLOGY NOMINATION WEBSITE
Judging Criteria and Notification
Nominees/candidates will be judged by the Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology Judging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 40 points:
- Enthusiasm and interest in attending the meeting (10)
- Academic credentials (GPA and the number of credits completed) (10)
- Topic or areas of thesis research fulfill award eligibility focus (10)
- Recommendations from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (10)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.